CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY IMPROVEMENT ACT SIGNED INTO LAW
The House and Senate both passed the H.R. 4040 Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act in July 2008 and the President signed it into law on August 14, 2008.
Highlights of the H.R. 4400 provisions include items listed below.
- Progressive ban on children’s products containing certain amounts of lead
- More stringent general lead paint standard o Ban on children’s products containing certain phthalate concentrations
- Safety rules, registration, labelling fro cribs, highchairs, strollers, etc
- Testing, certification, labelling for certain children’s products (including mandatory third party testing and certification)
Mandatory toy safety standards
- Expanded hazardous reporting requirement, recall/action plan authority
- Prohibition of sale/import/export of recalled, non-conforming products
- Requirements for targeting, inspection, recordkeeping, destruction of imported products
- Increased staff at port of entry, training, for product safety inspectors
- Increased civil and criminal penalties
- All-terrain vehicle standard
The complete conference report may be viewed at the following link:
Information on this and other recent developments can be obtained from our technical consulting group.