The Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFAIT) requires import permits for goods such as agricultural and steel products, and food items such as dairy, poultry and eggs.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) examines and issues permits for meat products. All restricted or controlled drugs require an import permit from Health Canada.

The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) sets controls on the international trade and movement of animal and plant species and products made from those species that have been, or may be, threatened due to excessive commercial exploitation.

Environment Canada is the agency responsible for implementing CITES on behalf of the federal government. All Canadian CITES import permits are issued by the Canadian CITES Management Authority.

CITES endangered species lists and permit application forms are located at: