In most cases, anyone importing or exporting wildlife or wildlife products must file a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Form 3-177 (Declaration for Importation or Exportation of Fish and Wildlife) with the U.S. Bureau of Customs and Border Protection at time of import or export. It does not have to be filed in the case of wildlife products or manufactured articles that are not for sale and are imported as accompanying personal effects or as part of a household move, and fish caught by sport fishermen unless such wildlife requires prior issuance of a permit. This exception does not apply to packages mailed into the United States, live animals, raw or dressed fur skins, endangered or threatened wildlife, injurious wildlife, certain CITES species, and marine mammals. Any regulated species must be accompanied by an export document from the appropriate foreign government office.

Download the form